[Rhodes22-list] Exploding Porta Potties

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Tue Nov 22 09:29:46 EST 2005

Man, if I could get the franchise rights for that thing here in Tennessee I
could retire.

Bill W.

             Bill Effros
             <bill at effros.com>
             rhodes22-list-bou         The Rhodes 22 mail list
             nces at rhodes22.org         <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
                                                                        cc

             11/22/2005 09:22                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [Rhodes22-list] Exploding Porta
                                       Potties

             Please respond to
               The Rhodes 22
                 mail list
             <rhodes22-list at rh
                odes22.org>

Bill,

I don't know if you were on the list when we all got involved with the
bumper dumper:

http://www.bumperdumper.com/

Bill Effros

William E. Wickman wrote:

> [...]

>>Ron, et. al.,
>>Everyone has an opinion about marine heads vs. porta-pottie, so here is
>>mine.  When I was first looking at a Rhodes, having a marine head was an
>>important criteria.  At one point, I had considered going the full monty;

>>marine head with holding tank, macerator, and even an electra-san.
>>However, after reading the archives and upon further reflection, I
>>

>realized
>

>>that the main reason that I wanted one was not for practical reasons, but
>>because it would make me feel more yachty.  The Rhodes is not a large
>>

>boat.
>

>>That is what makes it so appealing, because it doesn't have all the big
>>boat problems.  As I read somewhere else on the list, it seems like those
>>big boat sailors that have marine heads are always having to fix
something
>>on them.  Moreover, unless you keep the holding tank empty and clean,
>>

>there
>

>>always seems to be an odor.  Simple is good.  I realized that I am not
>>going to be living on this boat, and the longest that I will probably
ever
>>stay out is a week (maybe two if I'm lucky).  90+% of the time I am out
on
>>the boat for a day sail or overnighter.  I believe that most Rhodies will
>>confess a similar percentage.  I ended up with a boat that has just the
>>porta-pottie, and have been very happy with it.  There is zero
maintenance
>>with it, and it is very easy to dump anywhere there is a toilet.  Granted
>>it is a bit more hands-on than a pumpout, but a porta-pottie is much
>>

>easier
>

>>to keep sanitized than a non-removeable holding tank.
>>
>>I'll finish with a true story.  I was on vacation during the summer of
>>

>2004
>

>>chartering a 45 foot sailboat in the San Juan Islands.  It was a
wonderful
>>trip.  We had just docked for the evening in a marina on San Juan Island
>>and were walking off the docks to town when I saw the skipper of a rather
>>nice yacht in the process of emptying his holding tank into a "honey
pot".
>>At this particular marina, they had tanks mounted on wheels with electric
>>pumps that they called honey pots.  It was a self-serve system that
>>

>enabled
>

>>you to empty your sewage at your slip without having to go to a pump-out
>>station.  Well, right as we were passing by, something went amiss.  The
>>hose popped out of the holding tank fitting and drenched the skipper who
>>was bending over the hose fitting.  After everyone around finished their
>>collective Eeeeew, there was a bit of laughter by the small crowd that
>>always seems to gather around when some such activity as emptying a
>>

>holding
>

>>tank is taking place.  It looked just like something out of a comedy.
The