[Rhodes22-list] Portable Toilets / Canada

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Nov 22 10:17:03 EST 2005

Gregg,

I planned to set mine up this way, but it just doesn't work.  It looks
like a legal dodge to me.  The instructions that come with the units
don't provide the parts you would require.  Then when you start to think
about what you need, you realize that the system just can't work.

Here's why.

The exit tube provided in the lower tank exits from the highest point of
lower tank in order to prevent waste from exiting when it is meant to be
trapped.  The tube extends inside the tank to the lowest point in the
tank to prevent the odors above the waste from exiting the tank.  This
means you must always maintain some water in the tank to cover the end
of the tube--reducing the useful capacity of the tank.

But how does the waste climb up the tube when you want it to?  It is
normally full of air, so there is no siphon.  Some place in this system
you've got to add some kind of pump.  That's when I gave up up on the
permanent installation.  As soon as you plumb the thing into your system
you can no longer manually remove the waste tank.  Now you are just a
few gallons away from disaster if your system doesn't work.  Of course,
you test a new tank with fresh water.  But once you have set up your
water works, it's tough to undo it if you decide its never going to work
properly--and you've ruined the integrity of the porto potty for normal use.

The heads Stan installs cost less than a permanent porto potty plus all
the parts.  The exit system for waste, and holding tank cost the same.
It is easier to use and maintain the plumbing on the purpose built head.

Bill Effros