[Rhodes22-list] Portable Toilets / Canada

Jim Bunnell jbunnell at southfieldchristian.org
Tue Nov 22 13:18:03 EST 2005

Bill,

I rigged mine this way, specifically for cruising in Canada - not in
a Rhodes, unfortunately. I have the larger porta-potty. It has the
pump-out hose as you said, which leads to a fitting on deck. There is
also a vent hose that exits the boat just below the rub rail. No
underwater through-hulls. The waste tubing is sealed, no odor from
that. The vent may produce odor, but I've never noticed it. When you
get a pump-out, they vacuum out the system (air goes in the vent,
stuff goes up the waste hose), they they partially fill with water to
clean, and vacuum again. Works great, no mess. You do have to pay a
fee at most marinas, though. You can remove the tank, but you need a
plastic bag and a strong stomach for dealing with the end of the exit
tube you remove.