[Rhodes22-list] Cable Tie Stay Fasteners

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Nov 22 10:39:44 EST 2005

I'm the only one I know of who uses the plastic stay fasteners.

Forked cotter pins can hurt you when you walk by.  The cotter rings
jiggle out.  Taping turnbuckles traps water, which rusts rigging where
you can't see it.

All of these things have happened to people on this list.

I am using little cable ties.  I put the lead through the hole in the
turnbuckle, and then around one arm of the turnbuckle, through the head
of the cable tie, and then I cut off the excess right after the head.  I
wedge the cable tie head between the turnbuckle thread and one arm of
the turnbuckle so the turnbuckle can't turn even if the loop of the
cable tie is sheared.

If a cable tie fails, the rig doesn't come down.  The turnbuckle is
holding up the rig, not the cable tie.  All the cable tie must do is
prevent the turnbuckle from turning.  The wedged head, by itself, will
do this.  The loop is a safety.  Any time you see a sheared loop you
replace it.  This can be done in a matter of seconds.

Very few of my cable ties have sheared during the 2 or 3 years I have
been doing this.  More than 0.  Less than 5.  The turnbuckle has never
turned from where I set it.  I have never had both the upper and lower
cable tie shear at the same time.

I find I am much more willing to retune my rig as the summer progresses
and things stretch out because it is so simple to cut the existing ties,
(with wire cutters) tune the rig -- I always do this by feel and sound
-- and reinsert new cable ties.  I don't use rigging tape any more
because it damaged my turnbuckles.  I plan to replace all my
turnbuckles, and never wrap them.  The new ones should last a lifetime.

Bill Effros