Huh? Re: [Rhodes22-list] Exploding Porta Potties

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Nov 22 12:51:12 EST 2005

Saroj -

Applause for the direct approach.  I have hesitated to
bring up my own solution to the lack of marine pumpouts
and the hassles of carrying, emptying, and cleaning porta-
potties, as some will inevitably disagree with this
method.  But I would not leave you as the sole advocate.

I use the plastic urinal as you describe, and a plastic
bucket as well.  I have found, however, that few guests
choose to avail themselves of this simple and economic
gear, so I have had to provide an alternative for liquid
waste.

Having tried the 5-gallon bucket and plastic seat, I opted
for a somewhat rectangular bucket with a standard toilet
seat attached, as it provided a bit more room for my
"equipment".  The bucket is secured in place, but easily
removable, and there is some kitty litter in the interior
plastic bag to prevent sloshing, squishing, and odors.

The bucket is lined with a second plastic bag as a safety
precaution.  After each use, the interior bag is closed
and tied, and a new bag is set in place with fresh kitty
litter.  After the cruise, the outer bag is closed and
tied, and placed in a large paper bag which is taped shut,
providing triple security on the way to the disposal area,
and reducing the chance that someone responsible for
emptying the trash will be confronted with a very
unpleasant mess.

It works well, costs little, and never needs repair.

/Robert Skinner