[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Auto Pilot Question(s)

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:12:31 EST 2005

Bill,
I'm not going to tell you about my unit, but will be glad to talk about my
autopilot...I went with the ST2000, but not for any specific reason other
than I read that it might be more reliable (I think in epinions.com) and I
figured that more power could not hurt.  Will the ST1000 work?  Most likely
it would be fine.  The R-22 helm is very light, even in heavy wind.

As for installation, I had it at Big Water Marina for several months with no
progress before finding someone close to Atlanta (Lake Lanier) who had
experience installing all kinds of autopilots on all kinds of boats.  He
installed it quickly and perfectly and it is like most things: simple when
you know what you're doing.  The installation is like this (in non-technical
terms):
1. the pushrod hooks below the tiller with an offset bracket attached to the
tiller. I don't know the size of the offset-but it isn't more than two
inches.  There are three pushrod extensions, but I don't exactly know their
lengths.  I believe they are 4 or 5 inches, 2 inches and then a 1 inch
extension that I do not need and keep as an extra.
2. The unit installs on the top of the coaming - the little receptacle cup
is sunk into the coaming flush with the surface and epoxied in place.  This
installation is simple (since it does not require any additional brackets)
and also allows my stern swivel captains seat to swing freely over it.
3. The unit is perfectly level installed this way and I understand that this
is part of a good installation although I've been told it will work fine
even if it's not level.
4. The electrical connection is directly below the unit on the seat back.  I
also got a free remote which is installed and plugs into the bulkhead (I
think).

This is the best addition to the boat that I have made (even though everyone
laughed at me for adding it).  I singlehand a lot and it makes sailing much
more enjoyable, less tiring and I am able to keep my drinks full and the
music fresh.  Great when motoring also, although I do run over a lot of
channel markers.  I also have a wind instrument and can set the a/p to hold
a certain apparent wind angle - great on a lake when trying to point as high
as possible.  Nice feature.

The unit performs flawlessly, although I had a problem recently as the
internal gears were stripped.  I sent it back, they completely rebuilt the
insides of the unit and sent it back to me at no charge.  Amazing customer
service after 2.5 years.

In summary, I would avoid pedastals and mount it right on the coaming for
simplicity.  I don't think you would go wrong with either the ST1000 or 2000
- I have no knowledge of any other brands.

I wish I had some pictures, but I don't (on this new computer) and I won't
be seeing the boat again for a couple months.

Best of luck.
Bob K
s/v Yankee Clipper