[Rhodes22-list] Marine Heads & Bilge Pump

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:24:34 EST 2005

Just want to weigh in with a different view from everyone else.  I wanted a
marine head and have one in Yankee Clipper and am glad to have one.  Part of
it is that I have a wife and two daughters and I figured this would be one
less objection to going sailing. (It is one less, but there were many more
that I never anticipated, but that's another story).  Anyway, I like the
marine head very much, but only if you have a Y valve and macerator pump
installed as well.  The holding tank is too small and if you have women on
board you will always be sailing to the next pump-out station!  I've never
had odor problems and when I had probl;ems with flushing the head I just
took it out and fixed it on the dock.  It is so simple, that even I could
figure out how to remove it and fix it.  The downside?  Another thru-hull
fitting to worry about if you have a macerator pump, but then my boat has so
many thru-hulls it is like swiss cheese.

Speaking of the above, I also have a bilge pump on board and it is actually
just cheep insurance and peace of mind.  I had it installed when I was
having leaks in my CB trunk.  Since having that fixed I don;t think the pump
has run once, and my bilge is usually dusty it is so dry.  But, if I ever
need it hopefully it will be there.

There's my 2 cents.

Bob K
s/v Yankee Clipper