[Rhodes22-list] Bottom Paint

daniel snyder danielsnyder at adelphia.net
Wed Nov 23 10:05:19 EST 2005

Bob K.

My new Rhodes, due in May, will mostly stay on it's mooring ball from May
thru Oct. here on a fresh water lake in NH.  The water is extremely clear,
although there is always an amazing amount of algae and slime buildup below
the waterline...which if allowed to dry after hauling is a real chore to get
off.  I have a pretty red West Wight Potter and was surprised to see the
level of fading that hit the red color below the waterline after scrubbing
off the scum in October.

I'm trying to determine with Stan what, if any, bottom paint might be
applied.  Stan says check with the locals.  I did and the answer is nothing.
My new Rhodes will have a red hull also, and I'd sure hate to see the color
fade like the Potter.  So, I would like to minimize the slime build up if
possible.   You mentioned the use of Petit Trinidad and that you are moving
to a saltwater environment....was this bottom paint used for fresh water?
If so, how did it help?  Thanks