[Rhodes22-list]Ethanol % /effect on OBs

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu
Wed Nov 23 10:29:56 EST 2005

Rhodies,

  I took it upon myself to get some advice from a engine tech at a
well known Suffolk County, NY dealer of outboards regarding the
ethanol problems with outboards.  He told me that the
refineries are putting more than the 10% ethanol content into the
gasoline during the summer months.  He explicitly told me its not a
Tohatsu matter or a Honda matter, its the retailers of gasoline
adding too much ethanol.
Environmental reasons aside,  this is hurting our engines.  He also
said that adding a fuel stabilizer before gassing up should solve
many of the problems.
  I'll most likely go with the Tohatsu 8hp / electric start .
Lou