[Rhodes22-list] Bottom Paint

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Nov 27 04:53:50 EST 2005

Dan,

I'm using Pettit Trinidad SR because Practical Sailor tests bottom
paints in my harbor, and this paint was the best in my harbor.  When
they test in other harbors, different paints work better.  That's the
local knowledge thing.

In figuring out what I was using, I set off the "Uh-oh" light.  Here is
the blurb from some web site:

This new version of Trinidad has a specially formulated algicide that
makes it slime resistant. The high loading of cuprous oxide combined
with the algicide gives this paint unprecedented resistance to
barnacles, algae, slime and other marine and freshwater fouling
organisms. Excellent performance even in the most torrid, tropical
fouling conditions.

This hard, protective paint produces the most durable finish for
long-lasting performance that's easy to burnish. Can be applied over
most hard antifouling coatings. Remove old soft antifouling paint before
applying. Excellent adhesion to fiberglass, wood and steel hulls.
Perfect for both power and sailboats.

Compatible with all properly prepared hard bottom paints. Safe for
overcoating without fear of lifting. Apply two coats with brush, roller,
or spray. Do not apply on aluminum.Ê

NOTE: Cannot be sold or used in CA

Note the "Cannot be sold or used in CA" -- this is often the beginning
of the end for biocides that work too well.

With regard to application, as noted previously, I just ignore their
recommendations.  I slap on a single new coat every year.  I don't have
a cigarette boat that goes 150 miles per hour through the water.  On my
boat we give high fives when we hit 7 knots.  The water ablates less
than 1 coat of paint in most places per year.  The high spots get worn
down first.  New biocide is constantly being exposed, and it is
effective against both hard and soft stuff in my local waters.

I have always used expensive ablating paint on my R-22.  The SR -- slime
resistant formula was added, and improved the paint with regard to soft
stuff.  I think that is the green stuff, and you can see it while you
mix, even in the black paint.  For my money, the expensive paint is
worth it.  It goes on easily over just about anything, and it works.

Bill Effros