[Rhodes22-list] ? for Bill Effros on Hard Bottom Paint

Rick Lange gravityleak at isp.com
Mon Nov 28 17:30:43 EST 2005

Ed,

Along with most sailors in this part of the Great Lakes, I use the Teflon
paint called VC17.  It keeps both zebra mussels and fresh water slime off
very effectively.  Very easy to apply and costs $100 to paint an R22,
including diamond board and rudder.  Cuts with isopropol available at the
drug store.

Rick

On Sun, November 27, 2005 11:43 pm, Bill Effros said:
> Ed,
>
> Some of the ablative paints are so soft they smear onto you if you brush
> up against them either on land or in the water.  The paint I am now
> using gets hard enough on land that you could call it "dry".  In the
> water it softens, but not to the point where it leaves a stain in the
> water, or completely ablates away in less than one season.
>
> I know nothing about Teflon bottom paints except that racers were
> talking about it for awhile.  The idea was that it would be too slick
> for anything to stick to it.  I think it was too slick to stick to
> anything else, also.
>
> The computer toy is great.  I saw it this morning, but didn't have a
> picture of my boat on my computer, so I decided to wait until I could
> find one.  But now so many people are adding their locations, I posted
> mine without a picture while there was still a place on the map for me.
> I'll find a picture later and add it.
>
> Bill Effros
>
> ed kroposki wrote:
>
>>Bill:
>>	You used terminology hard in your discussion of bottom paint, yet
>>you said it is still ablative.  Is there soft bottom paint?
>>	Do you know anybody using the Teflon bottom paints?
>>	BTW, we have a new computer toy curtsey of Greg.  I do not see your
>>location posted.  Bashful?  http://www.frappr.com/rhodes22
>>

>>Ed K
>>Greenville, SC, USA

Regards,