[Rhodes22-list] advice needed

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Nov 28 21:50:42 EST 2005

Cheryl,

Who, where, what boat, how much?  You've got friends in Connecticut.
Very little risk if it is what he says it is--and it probably is.

The only real question is whether you're getting good value for your
money, and you've been looking for long enough so that you should be
able to answer that.

You can't hide damage on a boat the same way you can hide damage on a
car.  Do the sails look crisp, or do they look like old Kleenex?  Is
there water in the bilge?  Do the sails furl and unfurl easily?  Does
the centerboard go up and down?

Pretty much, what you see is what you get.  It will have more or fewer
extras.  From following the list you know what they are, and you know
what it would cost to buy them.  If the boat looks well cared for, it
probably was.  If Stan recycled it, it was in good shape in 1998.  Plan
to buy it.  Have someone around here look at it if possible.  Find out
if any of us knows the boat.  Make plans to pick it up.  When you first
drive up to see it, your initial impression will probably be right.
--it will either look worth it, or it won't.  Back out of the deal if it
doesn't immediately feel right.

Bill Effros