[Rhodes22-list] advice needed

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Nov 28 23:31:39 EST 2005

Ron,

Good point.  We CT boat owners are reasonable to deal with, but our
water eats up the trailers.  Not only did my Porto Potty explode this
summer, but my trailer did also.  I think I mentioned it on the list
when it happened.  Spectacular!

More recently, Bruce's trailer wheels seized, and he had to spend a
pretty penny to replace them.  He pulled his boat a month ago, and the
wheels seized again (although not nearly as severely) before I borrowed
his trailer 3 weeks later to pull my boat on Bruce's trailer.  Today
when I moved the trailer 2 weeks after pulling my boat, the wheels had
seized again, again.

I had to drag the trailer with the boat on it 8 feet over the gravel.  I
had to put my truck in 4 wheel drive to keep the truck's wheels from
spinning.  Once I could back up the truck, the trailer wheels freed, and
they turn normally again.

Cheryl -- this is a real consideration.  Ron's boat got home sound, if
not safe.  Some others have had trailer mishaps, and their boats have
not made it back in one piece.  We all look at these trailers and think
they must be good for just one more trip, but often they aren't.
Especially if they have not been used for the purpose in many a year.

Rik Sandberg can look at a trailer and tell if it's safe.  Roger
probably can, too.   I can't.  Chances are you can't either.  If the
trailers have been dipped into fresh water from time to time they should
be fine.  But salt water, and especially salt water around here, does a
lot of hidden damage.

Bill Effros