[Rhodes22-list] NJ Sailing and Todd Z's archive searching

P&M Beals beals at rci.rutgers.edu
Sun Oct 2 17:09:04 EDT 2005

Hi All,

We have been having some good sails in NJ Raritan Bay lately....more sailing
is what we needed, and to get the motor out of the water while sailing!
The Captain, me, put my foot down a while back and since we have not been
trying to sail with the motor dragging, amazingly, the boat is tacking much
better! My husband came late to sailing, and doubted our ability to get out
of harm's way fast enough...or out of the way of some drunken motor boat
captain anyway...

I have been lurking, not having enough time to read all these messages any
way but did see this one on the archives.

I found Ed's reply to me from last winter/spring on the archives, so am
passing this along.

Thanks for the tips during the summer past...I am hoping for 5 more weeks of
sailing around here.

Ed K wrote to Bob:

You do not have to be a geek to work the new 'Google' desktop searcher.  If
you use windows go to:

1.  http://www.google.com/

2.  Follow instructions for downloading 'google desktop search'.  After
downloading install the program.  At a point during the install, it indexes
your computer.  This process takes hours, but does it in the background so
you can still use your computer or you can leave the computer on and walk
away.

3.  Eventually you can use the program.  It works fine for stuff you have
already saved on your computer, like the documents that Todd saved.  Then
you can go directly to the related documents.

4.  I have not tried it on the list.  Michael suggested that it might
work(?).  However, I am leaving it up to you to try and report back.

5.  However, have you ever saved a document or email and tried to find it
six months later?  This program can find it for you.  My wife tried it after
I installed it and it worked.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA