[Rhodes22-list] more on the boat for Rick

Saroj Gilbert saroj at pathfind.net
Wed Oct 5 18:48:15 EDT 2005

Rick,

An interesting item re: the mast support on the Rhodes22... There are 6 side
stays plus 2 aft and of course the forestay.  As I said earlier, it is an
exceptionally hardy boat.. I've been sailing under heavy winds and had one
of the windward stays release and the mast hardly budged.  If all were to
break at once, the fiberglass that the tabernacle is attached to is more
likely to break.  I know that might sound dramatic, but fiberglass is a lot
easier to repair than a broken mast... Talk to Stan or Elton about it when
you go to Annapolis.  They can explain better than I can.

I hope I'm not adding fuel to the fire, but one of the tough parts about
Stan and Elton being so generous with their time is that they end up being
sales persons for the used Rhodes22 market in which they recieve zilch for
their time.  Economically this doesn't make sense for them and there are
some sensitivities there.

Probably the best bet for you is to buy one of their certified, recycled
boats... that way you get a boat in great shape at a better price than a
brand new boat.

As far as how it sails... for the type of boat that it is (non planing,
water displacement), it is typically faster than other boats of its size.
With the flared hulls, you typically won't have a wet sail, unless you bury
the rails.  The power is in the oversized genoa and with the traveler, boom
vang and multiple tracks you have a lot of capability for tuning.

Hope this helps... Ask away when you know just what you are looking for.

Saroj