[Rhodes22-list] Lou's CB trunk almost done

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu
Tue Oct 25 13:34:20 EDT 2005

Stan, Rhodies,

  Thanks to Roger Pihlaga, Stan, GBI, and some others who have helped
me out on this list, I have almost completed  the repair of my
damaged CB trunk.  Sunday I put the last fibreglass  on the  last of
the 4 patches which covered almost the entire length of the inside of
the trunk.
  The trunk had been compromised by water entering from a totally
cracked and emaciated flange around the trunk.   I had to cut
Garolite into patches, epoxy them around the flange wall to shore
that up,  & add more epoxy to fill holes.   Garolite  is an epoxy
laminate sold by McMaster- Carr in various sizes.
  Over the course of a year I had to use a dremel tool with a flex
drive attachment to cut out the bad laminate walls of my trunk.
Working under my trailer at first  I was able to cut fairly accurate
pieces out without damaging useful areas.  At first I balked at
taking out the pivot slots but early in the summer I realized they
were also bulging inward with bad cement behind them.  The pivot
slots had to be reinforced from behind at home and carefully
evaluated for any severe permanent damage before I decided to fix
them.  I actually considered making my own copies out of wood and
fibreglass, but just reinforced the original ones.
  After I would cut away all four sides of  a panel I would pry open
the bad laminate and in most cases,  dry cement would fall out.  I
figured I only lost a few pounds at most of ballast and have begun
pouring sand back into the voids that have now been covered by new
garolite laminate.  There are extra pieces of  fibreglass on the back
sides of  some of the larger panels which have been wetted out by
injecting thickened epoxy through a DUNCAN DONUTS straw attached to a
West System syringe.  Only DD straws work for this job!  The extra
fibreglass attaches to the tie layer and the extra injected epoxy to
help create a strong bond.  After pouring sand there will be much
room for more thickened epoxy until the voids are filled.

I am now up to sanding down the walls with fairing sticks, using
regular 80grit and 100grit paper.  In some places i will be able to
use my dremel tool with a sanding drum but since the drum is only
3/4" wide at most, its not an efficient way to get most of the job
done.  Dremels tend to leave tracks anyway.  But in the narrow
sections of the aft taper on the trunk i will need the dremel tool.

  After sanding the entire trunk down, I will re insert my rejuvinated
board with new a custom SS bail which holds my pennant.  I opted for
this bail because the pennant now takes up less space as it connects
to the board.  The bail is a flat piece of SS I had laying around
which is about 1/ 1/4 " wide and only about 1/8" thick.
  I also bolted a  Harken double sheave to the top of my cap.  The
sheaves are in line and separated by enough space to re create the
mechanical advantage of the original design. The Harken bullet
sheaves, I believe they are called, are complimented by two new
sheaves on the board, also with new SS mounts.  I tested  the sheaves
on the system before I installed it.

  I am trying to buy some Trindad SR soon to re do the board and paint
the trunk after a few more layers of epoxy and barrier coating.  Then
its on to more of my restoration!

  When I am done with the entire repair, Roger is helping me draft an
article about the methods, communication  ( use of the internet) to
facilitate a boat repair.  I would also like to put this material
into the R22 Arhives for future boaters who may have a similar issue.
There will be pictures, and illustrations, but if you think about the
angle one needs to see into the CB trunk, a picture is not really
going to show the details of the repair.

  onto the electronics implant and  fuel cell power plant:) !

  Lou Rosenberg

Lou Rosenberg