[Rhodes22-list] New Orleans Flood control problems

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 2 09:25:15 EDT 2005

It is interesting to see how accurate some of the gloom and doom"
predictions of
previous years were:
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/3335758
http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/wetlands/
hurricane1.html
http://plasma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/

The news from New Orleans is chilling - especially the lawlessness
and disorder that lies just below the surface.
The problems are not just related to the levee system, but loss of
wetlands and
a overall lack of vision in REALLY understanding the magnitude of a
potential
levee breach.  There are clearly people who thought about, and worried
about,
the big picture.  We should learn from our mistakes and ask why this
disaster
occured and whether it could have been mitigated - probably not
prevented.

I think we (this administration in particular) are treating
global warming in the same way. It is not affecting us yet - addressing
it is bad
for big business, so we ignore the problem until it is too late.

Ron