[Rhodes22-list] Rummies observation

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Sep 5 15:12:53 EDT 2005

Brad,

Get some sleep.

Neither my numbers nor my facts are off.  I don't know who's making up
the "facts" you're quoting, but they don't comport with what really
happened while you were away.

Ed said other Governors were prepared to send troops but the Governor of
Louisiana didn't request them.  T'aint so.  Requested.  Washington lost
the paper work--they couldn't be moved without Federal approval.

I believe you were still in China when, according to the Mayor of NO
Bush didn't help.  Here are his contemporaneous words:

"They don't have a clue what's going on down there...They flew down here
one time two days after the doggone event was over with TV cameras, AP
reporters, all kind of goddamn - excuse my French everybody in America,
but I am pissed."

"I need reinforcements. I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man--Now
get off your asses and fix this. Let's do something and let's fix the
biggest goddam crisis in the history of this country."

"We authorized $8 billion to go to Iraq, lickety split. After 9/11 we
gave the president unauthorized powers, lickety split to help New York
and other places. You mean to tell me that a place where most of your
oil is coming through ... that we can't figure out a way to authorize
the resources that we need."

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, Radio Interview -- Sept. 1, 2005

According to the Mayor this is what he told Bush:

"Man, this is a mess, and I am not getting the resources I need. I need
help, and if I don't get the help I need this city is going to blow up
and this is going to be a national disgrace."

Federal aid started only after this conversation.

According to Louisiana Senator Landrieu:

"I have been with Michael Brown since the minute he landed in this
center," Ms. Landrieu said Friday in Baton Rouge, referring to the
director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, "and I have been
telling him from the moment he arrived about the urgency of the situation."

But, she said, "I just have to tell you that he had a difficult time
understanding the enormity of the task before us."

This is Friday!!!!

First we heard from the people who flew from all over the country on a
moment's notice to "save the life" of Terri Schiavo telling us not to
politicize tragedy.  Now we've got the Swift Boat Fact Rewrite Team
rushing in to save the day.

I'm going sailing.

Bill Effros