[Rhodes22-list] Re: IMF and trailering

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Sep 8 15:18:13 EDT 2005

Dean,

Reef early and often!  I usually make the mistake of pulling the main all
the way out and then later realize I'm overpowered.  I start reefing in the
main when winds are about 12-14 and I'm going upwind.  Going downwind, you
can use more sail.  It's much easier to start with less sail and "shake out"
than it is to reef in with high winds.  But if I do need to reef in either
the main or the jib, I usually opt for heaving to, with the main on a port
tack as Bill said, then I can comfortably make any adjustments.  I often
sail single-handed and have nobody to man the helm while I'm reefing, so
heaving to makes it easy and safe.  Also, cleat the lines on the cleats
closest to the mast--not the ones at the end of the boom--because they're
easier to access when/if you need to make changes.

NOTE:  The R22's boom can be lowered a couple feet by pulling the pin in the
gooseneck and lowering to just above the cabin top (with the pop top down).
We call this the "first reef."  It lowers the center of effort, reduces
healing but still provides power without reducing sail.

I had a single axle trailer and had lots of trouble positioning the boat
just right to get the proper tongue weight.  I added a second axle last year
and love it!

Slim