[Rhodes22-list] New Orleans Flood control funding [esp to Thena]

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Sep 9 12:46:48 EDT 2005

Yes, the "possibility" of such damage has existed, but in one of the oldest cities in this country, it has never happened before. And, what "powers that be" are you speaking of?? The emergency planning for the city of New Orleans is the responsibility of the city of New Orleans. And, they did indeed have a plan. The plan was for PEOPLE TO LEAVE!!!! I was there, I left, I lived to come back to my second home, and help others. Why is it "Bush's fault" that 20% of the population chose to ignore that plan?

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25
  Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35
  Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> saroj at pathfind.net 9/2/2005 7:10:41 PM >>>
Thena,

I'm sorry for my delayed response.  Your reply was buried in the many emails
that have come through.. I don't read every Rhodes22 email when there are so
many of them.

I'm baffled at your response.  I don't have a personal agenda on this other
than feeling terribly helpless and frustrated at not knowing what to do
about this horrible situation.  Before so many started pointing out just
what I was observing, I was shocked to realize that it appeared that the
Federal government was doing nothing to help in what was a huge disaster.  I
was ready to shut down my house here and drive down there to do what I could
before I realized that I would be just another mouth to feed with little to
offer.

I've been in daily communication with a cajun friend of mine who lives there
to see what I could do.  It especially frustrates me to hear that the
"powers that be" were fairly warned of this possibility and put the need on
the back burner which had it been addressed might have prevented it.

I can't even imagine what it must be like... I'm catching up on emails now
and see that you have made some suggestions... Of course my LA friend is
giving me some hints as well.

My heart goes out to you and all there...

Saroj