[Rhodes22-list] Leadership

Bradley, David david.bradley at sap.com
Fri Sep 9 17:25:21 EDT 2005

I've been working at home today and had a chance to watch the list go at
it real time.  You guys are all too funny.

Politics and facts aside, I can't help but wonder about something
touched on a week or so ago, and it's triggered again for me by watching
some of the "anniversary" coverage of 9/11.

The tragedy in the Southeast is historic in proportion and the debates
will probably match.  Certainly an Act of God.  Certainly could have had
better pre-planning.  Certainly could have been smarter moves by local,
state, Federal officials.  I can't begin to match the intensity you have
all put into this fact slinging and opinion slinging.

But what I think the country is really missing here is a leader who has
the right blend of credibility and compassion and strength and
acceptance of blame and call to action for others.  In other words, a
leader.

When the planes hit in NY on 9/11/2001, Rudi Giuliani played that role
and provided an emotional, psychic and political focal point.  As bad as
it was, he filled a void and kept things going.  He gave people a sense
of confidence that, if things were going wrong, they would get fixed.
He was the catalyst for a sense of unity in the face of adversity.

This is not a commercial for Rudi.  I'm just wondering why we have such
a leadership void now, with perhaps the most dire crisis in a couple of
generations?  Where does the buck stop?

President Bush's popularity ratings are at an all-time low.  Sounds
right to me.  This administration has left a leadership vacuum I've
never before witnessed.  Maybe a Coast Guard General can put a FEMA
command and control system in place now.  But where does the
accountability for lack of decision making lie?  Will a new on-site FEMA
leader be able to marshal the resources?  Mobilize disparate
organizations?  More important, bring the country together and start the
healing?

The best leadership I've seen is the NO Chief of Police.  Maybe we
should elect him as something.

Respectfully,

Dave Bradley
(The other liberal Northeast guy)