[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit Cushions

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sun Sep 11 16:53:39 EDT 2005

Tom,
Welcome to the list. I have a R22 on Lake Hartwell, SC along with 4  others.
Keeping the cockpit seats from sliding can be difficult in gusty winds.  I
find people are more comfortable on the rail and besides, it's a better  place
for the weight to be anyway. You might try removing any wax that  somebody may
have used at one time or another with a good solvent. That should  help.
Adjusting the sails, both the genny and the IMF (if you have that feature)
will help to keep you comfortable. It takes practice to find the correct
combination for the winds you are getting. Also lowering the pop top and the  boom
to the lower level helps to keep the boat somewhat level.
As far as I know, I have the honor of being the only R22 to have ever been
knocked down. The incident involved five adults, two very large bottles of Mt.
Gay rum, several hours of sailing and winds in the 25 to 30 mph range. You
get  the picture. Once the main sail and genoa were released, the boat righted
herself with about fifty gallons of water in the cabin. Only damage was the
loss  of five rum and cokes and a pack of cigarettes. We pumped the water out of
the  cabin, calmed our nerve's with another drink and continued
sailing......but with  less sail out. It was a great day to be sailing.
Speaking of sailing, we've had three really nice windy days with lots of  sun
thanks to Ophelia.

Rummy
Anderson, SC