[Rhodes22-list] Elvis

Saroj Gilbert saroj at pathfind.net
Wed Sep 14 13:06:47 EDT 2005

Sounds like a good time to dredge up the hurricane prep instructions that
were posted (here, I think.. but maybe I got them from U.S. Boat.. can't
remember) prior to the Isabel hit... they really helped me out a lot and now
I have a potential "baby" hurricane headed our way with no idea where they
are.... I'll try to dredge them out...

I did reset the lines on Sunday (looser, but more centered in the slip, high
up on the pilings and more of them); removed the boom; removed any and all
extraneous objects including the motor... I opted to leave the Genoa up but
tied it up good with the sheets... if the hurricane increases before it gets
here, I'll remove the Genoa altogether and consider lowering the mast as
well although I'm wondering if it isn't better off where it is given how
over-engineered it is...  For Isabel I pulled the boat entirely out of the
water and secured her onto the trailer... no damage other than flooding into
the lazarette and thus into the cabin... quite a mess, but only elbow grease
needed to remedy.  Actually most of the boats did just fine in Isabel where
I had a slip as it is a hurricane hole and very well protected from wind and
surge.  I'm much more exposed now.

So sorry for your damage, Ben... I imagine right now you have a lot more to
worry about than getting her back to sailing condition.  Best of luck
getting back to normal.

Saroj