[Rhodes22-list] Elvis

benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com
Wed Sep 14 09:26:58 EDT 2005

I had four lines securing the boat:  bow line, stern line, forward spring, and
aft spring.  When I was last there, they were way too tight to handle the storm
surge.  It was pretty thick.  1/2 inch or maybe 5/8.

Three of the four failed.  The boat rode up on the aft spring line (or is it the
forward?  I forget if it's the direction from the boat to the dock, or the
direction from the dock to the boat.  It was the one that was tied to the bow.
You can still see it on one or two of the pictures.

In one of the pictures, you can see how the line bent the tooth from the smaller
chock in front of the pulpit, and then bent the pulpit itself.  Even this line
was frayed, but it held.  It was so tight on the cleat that I had to cut it away.

During the storm, the boat swung around on this line, and I'm sure with the
surge, it was pretty much vertical.  I suspect that the too short line may have
rolled the boat sideways, contributing to the amount of water she took.

The storm opened the laz, the pop top, and one of the forward hatches.  The other
hatch is one that we broke in the spring, and was secured by that age-old tool:
duct tape.

Good times.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:31 , Bill Effros <bill at effros.com> sent: