[Rhodes22-list] Why Rebuild New Orleans?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Sep 17 17:35:36 EDT 2005

Michael,

Sorry about the time stamp.  I was working around some copy protection,
and forgot to reset it.

With regard to the rest, I was not playing fast and loose with the
facts, and it would be nice if you didn't play fast and loose with the
facts, either.  Maybe you are the one who should step back.

I put the word "stilts" in quotation marks because that is what they are
often called in other parts of the country.  Here we call them "pilings".

Manhattan is not solid stone a "few feet down."  The bedrock is 65 to 80
feet below the current surface in lower Manhattan, and pilings must be
driven down to that level to support large buildings like the World
Trade Center.   Above the bedrock is 5 to 20 feet of glacial till.
Above the glacial till is a 20 to 35 foot thick layer of glacial
outwash, sand and silt.  Above the outwash is a 10 to 30 foot layer of
river mud.  And above the river mud is 15 to 35 feet of fill comprised,
not only of excavation spoil, but also demolition debris, marine
construction, abandoned vessels, lost cargo, and garbage.

The proportions vary from location to location, but on the West Street
side of the World Trade Center site--where the Dutch docked their ships
at the same time that New Orleans was being populated by the French--the
fill is 20-35 feet deep.  If this is such a great idea for New York
City, why isn't it a great idea for New Orleans?  If you filled the area
behind the levees to a depth of 20-35 feet those houses would be "above
sea level", too.  Just make sure the levees don't break in either place,
and understand that if you feel it's ok to rebuild government mistakes
in one place, then you've going to have to rebuild them in the other.

The subway system never flooded due to a break in the underground levee
system in NYC that could not be repaired.  It is true that the subway
system goes through the bedrock, but as noted above, virtually all of
that bedrock is 50 feet or more below sea level.   Many of the subways
that cross the rivers go under the river bottoms, through the bedrock.

Nobody said the World Trade Center towers were designed for 707 hits and
not 767 hits the day before the 767s hit.  What they said was "You can't
knock down the World Trade Center with an airplane."  All of these
calculations were rechecked after terrorists tried to knock down the
World Trade Center with a truck load of explosives near pilings in a
sub-basement in 1993.

The 767 isn't that much bigger than a 707.  It's 6 feet longer, has a 10
foot wider wingspan, and can carry 980 gallons more of fuel--which had
been burned off by the time the plane took off and flew down to NYC from
Boston.  (Ask Brad.)

"Read My Lips!" to quote from the next presidential campaign:  I am not
trying to "get" anybody.

I stand shoulder to shoulder with Herb, judging from his comments, and I
would not deign to characterize his remarks as those of a zealot--either
right or left.

I do not think Wally is "cold" because he is trying to think this
problem through.

But I'm having a lot of trouble understanding where you are coming from.

We have a government that says whatever it thinks people want to hear,
whether what they say makes any sense or not.  You say you think 2000
people in Government screwed up, but not one of the people you ever
voted for.  When your President propose a plan that clearly contradicts
his own previous plans, you call me a zealot for pointing out the
inconsistency?

W. has proposed throwing vast amounts of money in the direction of a
group of notoriously corrupt politicians and businesses, using dollars
that we don't have which his administration has said it would never spend.

What part of this plan do you agree with?

The rest of us are just scratching our heads from left to right, and
then from right to left.  We all want to do the right thing.  But what
is being proposed can't possibly work.  Probably won't happen.  And
people's lives are going to be ruined by these decisions in all parts of
the country, regardless of their political persuasion.

Don't just dash off attacks on people who you think disagree with you.
I don't think Bush is evil.  Dumb, yes.  Evil, no.  Do you think what he
is embarking on is smart?  Can you explain it to me in any terms?  I am
truly listening.  And I think Herb is, too.  And Wally.  And Hank.  And
Stan.  And Ben.  And Rummy.  And...

I'm done for now.

Bill Effros

PS -- From Science Friday, August 21, 1998:

The basement of Manhattan's World Trade Center and many of the
businesses on Wall Street could see flooding by 2030, as could Newark
International Airport in New Jersey. Large parts of Louisiana might be
underwater.