[Rhodes22-list] New Orleans

terry at msis.net terry at msis.net
Sat Sep 17 19:21:08 EDT 2005

I live about 100 miles west of New Orleans and keep my rhodes at cypremort
yacht club(cypremort .com)which is on a bay connected to the Gulf of
Mexico. Building restrictions,implimented by FEMA,at Cypremort require a
building living area to be at least 18 feet above sea level. Where I live
about 10 miles inland the requirement is 10 feet above sea level. Most
people here have to build up their lots with fill or build on pilings. Why
can you build a house in New Orleans below sea level?