[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Mr. Rummy on Sept 20, 2005.

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 21 09:30:13 EDT 2005

Wally,

There you go, I think you hit it right on the head.

___________
You said: "I have heard from the media that the people were told to
bring food and basic supplies to the Superdome. I don't know about you
but i can't even go to the lake for a day without bring a sandwich and
some water or a cold beer or two."
___________

I think many of the people who ended up in the superdome or the
convention center are the very same people that we have trained to not
be able to take care of themselves. The Gov't pretty much provides
everything they need during normal times. I suppose it follows that they
would all expect the same during a hurricane. I don't suppose it even
occurred to many of them that some of the services they have all the
time might be interrupted.

Like you, for me it would just seem like good common sense to have the
makings for enough peanut butter sandwiches (or something) and water to
last a week or so while I was trying to get out of town. Really, if one
is paying attention at all, how many times does a hurricane hit an area
(any area) where the power and other services aren't down for at least a
week??

I think one of the best things we could do for most of these folks in
the future would be to wean them from their dependence on the gov't and
teach them how to think for themselves. Some of the things I saw on the
news were just pathetic. Perfectly able bodied people who hadn't been in
their situation for 2 days yet, bawling about how they were starving and
had no water.

And, shame on the media for picking these people out of the crowd to
sensationalize their situation. A situation that ANYBODY with half a
lick of sense would have handled by simply going to the grocery store on
Thursday, Friday, Saturday or, if you were dragging your feet, even
Sunday. It's not like there were no warnings that this storm was coming!!

Rik