[Rhodes22-list] Canada

salm at mn.rr.com salm at mn.rr.com
Fri Sep 23 14:22:35 EDT 2005

Greetings from Fredericton, New Brunswick.  This is the first of six
weekends I'll be playing here.  The venue is a nice, big nightclub
with mostly a younger clientelle.  We had a pretty good crowd last
night and hope it will get even better as the weeks go on.  It's a
late crowd however because, I'm told, the drink prices are high so the
kids (the drinking age is 19) stay home and have a few (too many) and
then show up late for one or two more at the bar.  They were all
pretty drunk by the time they arrived.

I was lucky to get here on time.  My flight out of Minneapolis was
delayed by 6 hours due to bad weather, so I got to spend the night in
Toronto and fly into Fredericton just hours before the gig.  (Note to
self: Don't exchange currency at the Toronto airport.  Much better
rate at cash machines.) Barely had time to change clothes and grab a
bite.  They like lots of Country songs here and also what they refer
to as "maritime" songs which sound pretty much like Irish drinkin'
songs to me.  I just happen to know a few (wink).

Fredericton is a cute little town of about 50,000.  It's the capitol
and has a couple universities--hence the younger crowd.  I have a nice
view of the St. John River from my hotel room and I see 30 or so
sailboats in the 18-24 foot range on moorings.  The Rhodes would fit
in nicely.

The weather is nice--about (ah, I mean aboot)the same as Minnesota
now.  It's 21C right now and I'm heading out to do a little exploring.

Slim