[Rhodes22-list] P-NO Water Flooding Back In, horse stuff and drinking

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Sep 24 10:36:41 EDT 2005

Rik,

It seems to me many people are able to think about nothing.  Or to not
think at all.  I don't understand how they do it, and I was pretty old
before I believed it was possible.

No, they are not kidding when they say truckers get roads for free, and
they won't listen when you try to explain.  I think it is very difficult
not to become shrill in situations like that, but I know they will never
listen if I can't stop hyperventilating.

Yes, trying to teach people who are unable to learn is not that
different from trying to teach paranoid schizophrenics that they've got
nothing to worry about.  The difference is that people who can't learn
often understand that they can't learn things that come easily to
others.  They become enraged at their inability.  It's understandable,
but intractable.

In the white hollows of Ky I didn't encounter anyone who was "smart".
(This was 40 years ago.  I have never since been in a community,
anywhere in the world, that was as totally isolated.)   In the black
ghetto I taught kids who had IQs higher than mine.  I wonder what
happened to them.  Everyday survival was their big concern.  The
teaching environment was impossible.  I can't imagine how they answered
some of the questions on the IQ tests.

Coming up with a balance is the trick.  I'm trying, and I know you and
others are, too.  It ain't easy.

Bill Effros