[Rhodes22-list] Canada, Eh

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Mon Sep 26 14:49:43 EDT 2005

Just got back from my trip to Fredericton, New Brunswick.  I tried sending
several messages but they never made it.  I had my new laptop along and used
the hotel's ethernet connection (I don't have a wireless card for it yet) in
Toronto, but never came through.  My hotel in Fredericton didn't have that
and so I used the hotel's business services computer a few times but it
would log me off by the time I finished typing.  But I was able to lurk.

Chris--great job on the Baja journal!  I only received up to day 5 and I
assume there's more to come.  Can't wait to read more.  Love the PDF format.

Fredericton is a cute little town of about 50,000 permanent residents and
then about 12,000+ more at the two universities.  That makes for a younger
clientele at the clubs.  Good thing I brushed up on my Green Day, Matchbox
20 and Third Eye Blind.  They also like a lot of country songs too as well
as what they refer to as Maritime songs, which sound a lot like Irish
drinkin' songs.  Just happen to know a few of those. (wink)  The so-called
"Maritimes" include New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island but not
Newfoundland (don't ask).

My schedule would have allowed me to rent a car and drive down to the
coastal city of St. John, but the hurricanes caused the gas prices to spike
to nearly two dollars per liter.  That's right.  Two.  Dollars.  Per.
LITER!  I'll never complain about gas prices in the US again.  And prices
are a little inflated in general so I opted out of the car rental and did
most of my exploring on foot although I rented a bike one afternoon and
toured along the St. John River.  It was quite nice.  The weather was fine
and the air has that wonderful north woods piney smell.

Brad, do you ever fly to Toronto?  That airport is a nightmare.
Unfortunately I have to deal with that every time for the next six weeks.

Slim