[Rhodes22-list] Bimini Question

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Wed Apr 5 15:05:05 EDT 2006

Hi Rory, welcome to the Rhodes list! Always good to have another R22 sailor
on the Chesapeake.

There are a lot of variations on how biminis are set up on R22s. Ours is
fixed mount and only folds forward on the cabintop or against the raised
pop-top. If you try to fold it backwards it leans on the winches. Some
people have theirs on track which gives it more adjustability. Not sure how
Bob Weber's is attached but I like the fact that it can be folded all the
way back. Bob, care to give some specs - attachment points, type of
attachment, size of bimini? Others have a fixed strut that hold's the
folded bimini angled back but off the stern rail.

For the most part, I don't mind the bimini folded forward. We generally
sail with the poptop down so on a gray windy day it provides a little extra
splash protection to the cockpit. It's not hard to step over the struts if
you have to go forward. When we leave the boat in its slip for the week, we
lash it to the boom so it's not resting on anything. Ours is not too
difficult to remove - just a couple of screws. It is kind of awkward to
maneuver once it's off the boat though we did find we could actually stow
it below when we stripped the boat prior to Isabel.

We have kind of a love hate relationship with the bimini. It's big and
somewhat awkward and somewhat in the way but we wouldn't be without it on
sunny days or on rainy days at the dock. I've attached a picture of us
rafted with another boat so you can see the bimini lashed to the boom and
another of us sailing in with the bimini up on the cabintop.

We sail down to Tilghman once or twice a year. The boat will be in Rock
Hall in another few weeks if you want to see the setup.

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA   / Rock Hall, MD  (Swan Creek)