[Rhodes22-list] Peter - Tiller extension holder

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Mon Apr 10 19:52:21 EDT 2006

Peter,
        All this about some gadget near the back to lock the tiller
extension.  Had this discussion come about before last weekend, I could have
taken pictures of the gadgets that came with my '84 boat.  They are spring
clips on the side rails, one on each side.  The tiller extension just clips
into them and holds the tiller where you lock it.  It can be adjusted
without taking out of the rail clip by unlocking the extension part (the
part on the tiller extension that turns to lock) and relocking to the new
spot.  I have seen such clips for sale somewhere, but cannot remember where.
        Now something you can bite on, look at west marine Windshield
Adjuster, model 430530.  The side that has the turn knob would do the job.
Then, since you are in the contracting business, do you have drill press,
band saw, etc?  Make your own clip out of HDPE, which is readily available.
And it is not difficult to work.  We discussed sources for this stuff
sometime back.  Locally, it is available in Greenville, SC at Dixie Rubber &
Plastics, Inc.  See:
http://www.dixierubberandplastics.com/productsplastics.php  These guys cut
me a couple of pieces one inch by one inch by eight foot in one day.  They
have a minimum order of $10.00.  Makes good all weather trim.  You can use a
wood router on it.  You might try it around thresholds or as bathroom trim.
Colors other than white are hard to come by.  Although they had some black
and gray available.
       Also look at West Marine Perko spring clips, models 317529 and
114928, Tubing clips model 209445 and Beckson holding clips, model 241313 et
al.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA