[Rhodes22-list] Shorties

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Apr 14 10:57:11 EDT 2006

Art,

I never saw your first message in this thread, and I'm wondering if
things are falling between the cracks.

In answer, according to the ST1000 manual, the attachment point for the
auto tiller should be 18" from the rudder pivot.  It seems to me a 20"
long tiller would be more than sufficient, and the auto tiller wouldn't
be flailing the rest of the tiller around the cockpit space.  Also,
while at anchor, using the boom room, a very short tiller should provide
all the control you need over the rudder, while being simpler to get out
of the way when not needed.

I use my table all the time.  The under deck mount keeps it out of the
way when I don't need it.  If I had different sections of pedestal I
would use it more.

The short mast (and I was also thinking of simply cutting up old masts)
would be great to have any time the real mast was down.  Sure, we can
all get by with the tilt-top temporary method--but how much more elegant
to be able to use all the features of the boat even when the mast is
down.  It turns a trailered boat into a Winnebago.

Mast-Down Cruising is a topic we should explore.  There are people
around here buying expensive old sailboats cheap, removing the masts
entirely, and just cruising around, anchoring, and living in their
sail-less "sail" boats all summer.  It's a long cheap great vacation.
The R-22 lends itself to this kind of cruising.  Just add a shortie.

I'm not sure I ever saw your email discussing a booming shower.

Bill Effros