[Rhodes22-list] Shorties

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Fri Apr 14 15:23:48 EDT 2006

Bill Effros wrote:
> Mast-Down Cruising is a topic we should explore.  There are people
> around here buying expensive old sailboats cheap, removing the masts
> entirely, and just cruising around, anchoring, and living in their
> sail-less "sail" boats all summer.  It's a long cheap great vacation.
> The R-22 lends itself to this kind of cruising.  Just add a shortie.

I have been dreaming of cruising the Hudson and
Erie canals.  Sailing is all but impossible on
these waterways, and sections of the Erie (and
others as well) are marshland -- hot and buggy.

This is a compelling argument for a short
section of mast - just high enuf to support
boom (room), pop top, and low stays.

You would want to keep it short enuf to get
under the 12' bridges.

Good idea, Bill!

/Robert Skinner