[Rhodes22-list] Beer Overboard

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Apr 16 11:26:46 EDT 2006

Slim,  (Alain--pay attention!)

Some details on the beer overboard maneuver.  Seriously.

We haven't talked enough about the difficulties of recovering things and
people falling overboard.  Especially single handed (which everyone
would be if their partner fell overboard with only 2 originally on board.)

Would your partner be able to recover you?  Mine wouldn't.

When I was practicing anchoring last summer, I discovered that when the
wind is blowing at 20-25 kts. it is almost impossible to recover a
properly set anchor while sailing single-handed and remaining tethered
to the anchor.  Some extremely dangerous situations can (and did) arise.

So I developed a technique of tying the bitter end of the anchor rode to
a life preserver and throwing it overboard.  This allowed me to get my
boat out of facing directly into the wind, and into a position where
either my motor or my sail could position me where I could retrieve my
(too expensive to leave behind) anchor.

As noted previously, I use floating anchor line with little or no
chain.  This leaves a long line of rode floating on the water, attached
to a life preserver,  which is far more difficult to see and retrieve
without fouling the line than you would imagine, if you've never tried
it before.  But once recovered, the scope is shortened, the pressure is
off the anchor, the boat can maneuver, and the anchor can be easily
retrieved.

Still, I find myself using this technique only as a last resort because
of the difficulties of retrieval, and the amazing fact that you can
easily lose sight of the floating life preserver under these conditions.

Which got me to thinking..."what if the floating life preserver had a
person in it?"  Would I be able to retrieve that person in time with out
causing more harm?

So I decided one of the things I would work on this summer was MOB.

I have also retrieved objects fallen overboard as trivial as beer
holders, and been surprised at the difficulty, and my willingness to
blow closer and closer to rocks in an attempt to save a $10 item.  In
fact, I purchased a 3 part extending pole with a reach of more than 12
feet to replace my 2 part extending pole with a reach slightly under 10
feet specifically to try to address this problem.

More than you expected, I'm sure, but I would like to know more about
your recovery, and anyone else's experiences.  It's something I can't
remember talking about, but something I think we should.

Bill Effros