[Rhodes22-list] Anchors

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Apr 16 11:51:28 EDT 2006

Welcome, Alain,

I hope you will stick around for a while.  Feel free to advertise your
anchor on this list in the course of explaining why you designed your
anchors the way you designed your anchors, and your anchoring
experiences.  Feel free to post text and pictures to the list that you
have posted elsewhere.

Like most coastal cruisers (I sail on Long Island Sound) I knew very
little about, and avoided anchoring for years on end.  Last summer I
decided I should finally learn how to do it, and read everything I could
(including your very helpful notes) on the Internet.

I have subscribed to PS for years, but have come to be dismayed by some
of their shoddy testing techniques.  Dragging anchors through the same
patch of sand or mud with a winch does not, in any way, simulate
comparative anchoring in real world situations.  The test favors heavy
anchors, plow shapes, and the first to be tested (before the bottom is
completely disturbed).  The anchor selection was completely arbitrary,
with some anchors weighing 5 times more than others.

While PS often claims that it doesn't "take advertising" it does seem to
accept a lot of free gear which seems to wind up on the personal boats
of the testers.  West Marine, in particular, seems to have noticed that
the testers often have kind things to say about the gear that winds up
on their own personal boats.  Shortcomings that disqualify other
manufacturer's gear are often noted as just "shortcomings" on West
Marine gear.  The (very small staff of) testers know there will be more
gifts in the mail.

We spent some considerable time debating my anchoring conclusions on
this list.  Your comments would be very welcome.  I will repost some of
our anchoring threads for your review.  Feel free to say what you really
think, and don't worry about offending people (like me) who you think
are way off the mark.

Bill Effros

First off, feel free to