[Rhodes22-list] Anchors

Alain POIRAUD hylas at free.fr
Sat Apr 15 23:06:30 EDT 2006

Thanks Bill..

Yes,  I’m also the designer of the Sword. :0) I have designed this last one,
to answer the comments of many sailors who have been complaining about the
price of the Spade. (regardless of the quality).

Therefore, I have designed an anchor based on most of the principles of the
Spade, but based on the same “low cost” manufacturing technology than our
competitors..

 As a result, the new SWORD’s price , is only 40% of the one of the Spade
anchor..

I have also used some “new” ideas… As holding is related to the fluke
surface area, I have removed the heavy lead ballast present on the tip of
the Spade.. and use the spared weight to nearly DOUBLE the surface area..

But WEIGHT on the tip,   is very important for the first part of the
penetration process.. therefore I’ve used a very original idea, by moving
the fixation of the shank, from backward .. to the first half of the fluke..
and then, I use the weight of the shank as a ballast..

I will not talk further about the characteristics of this new anchor as I
don’t want to make a “sales speech” here.. but I will be pleased to answer
all technical questions.

Coming back on PS anchor tests, during years.. they have done a very good
job, testing anchors in different grounds (sand - mud) and testing the
various parameters: Holding, but also penetration and veering tests.. but
you can’t repeat  the same tests indefinitely..

I don’t believe that the latest tests have been conducted by the same team
that did the previous ones.

I’ve read many criticism about them, on several nautical forums.. and this
is a pity as PS is the only magazine without ADVERTISING , and the only one
which can do objective tests.. But they really need to stay
“professionals”..

Safe anchoring to all,

Alain