[Rhodes22-list] Anchors--French Decoder Ring Version

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Apr 16 13:57:00 EDT 2006

Alain,

Great attached piece.  Thanks.

Here is the part I don't understand, re: chain:

"By the way, do not rely on the friction of the chain on the bottom to
hold your yacht: it does not exceed a few kg or lb, except if it meets
rocks, coral patches etc.! Otherwise, we would never need an anchor,
would we? As we'll see in the next chapters, having a fair length of
chain lying on the bottom is not intended to increase the holding power
via the chain friction, but instead to keep the tension on the anchor
horizontal when the rode tightens."

If an anchor chain section on the bottom weighs less than the force of
the wind on the boat, won't that anchor chain section be lifted off the
bottom at the exact same angle as the rope section?

And if an anchor chain section lying on the bottom weighs more than the
force of the wind on the boat, won't that anchor chain section hold the
boat so that the boat cannot drive the flukes of the anchor into the bottom?

Bill Effros