[Rhodes22-list] Anchors--French Decoder Ring Version

Alain POIRAUD hylas at free.fr
Sun Apr 16 10:11:55 EDT 2006

Hi to all..

“Michael is one of the best sailors on this list, however he is dyslexic”

No problem for me, I’m used to speak various foreign languages and I
understand quite well Michael’s language.. and, as usual, I will answer in
“Franglish”.. :-)

Talking about “rode”. There is a very interesting and highly technical Web
page talking about “Tuning an anchor rode”.. made by another Frenchman, and
also a good friend of mine, Alain FRAYSSE:

http://alain.fraysse.free.fr/sail/rode/rode_b.htm

Yes, you have to use some chain on the rode.. as it is a perfect mean to
avoid shaffing of the rode onto the aggresive sea bottoms.. but I’m 100 %
against an all chain rode.. If using an all chain rode, you MUST at least ad
an efficent snubber.

I’ve also written a full book on the subject:  “Tout savoir sur le
mouillage” also available in German “Besser Ankern” and we are just in the
process of going through an “English coder ring”.. :-) I hope the English
version will be available at the end of this year..

I will be more than pleased to continue to write my coments on this forum.
Sometime my theories are radically different than the good old beliefs.. but
I’ve practiced them during 13 years of full time living (and anchoring)
aboard.. (and I’m still alive :-))
Its tooks a wile to have some “news” ideas accepted.. but for example, it is
well accepted now that holding is much more related to the surface area
buried in the sea ground, than to the weight of the anchor.. Not always easy
to come with different theories.. but I know it will only be a question of
time...

See you soon..

Alain