[Rhodes22-list] Commissioning - Shock Cord

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sun Apr 16 15:06:42 EDT 2006

Bill,

Webbing and fast buckles -- great idea!  Can you readily cinch up a fast
buckle?

My approach to shock cord is similar to the Lilliputian approach to tying
down Gulliver -- lots and lots of small tie points.  I'll bet fewer buckles
would be faster. I did not mention this earlier, but I use 1/4 doublebraid
line for the critical structural tie downs (front of mast, etc).

I made up 1/4" sc with 1 1/4" twing balls, assembled in three sizes so they
have just the right tension for each particular use.  They are not over
tight or too loose.   With 10-12 around the headsail it stays put at highway
speeds.   I also use some smaller premade 1/8" sc/twing balls from Northern
Tool which are good for holding standing rigging coils together and holding
the stern ladder up.

Gosh I wish I was sailing...

PT