[Rhodes22-list] Commissioning - Shock Cord

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Apr 16 14:43:30 EDT 2006

Peter,

I never use shock cord any more.  It has snapped too close to my eyes,
too many times.

Instead I am using webbed strapping with adjustable buckles that don't
have to be sewn on.

I carry strapping and buckles on board in addition to pre-made straps I
use for specific functions (Like wrapping the jib every time before
leaving the boat--1 click and the job is done.)

Whenever I need to tie down something new, I just cut off a piece of
strapping, thread it through a pair of buckles, and "Walla!" (as they
say--but not Alain.)  The webbing has never failed.  I have broken a few
buckles under extreme stress situations, but nothing snaps when this
happens; you just put on a new buckle and don't load it as heavily.  No
harm; no foul.

Bill Effros