[Rhodes22-list] Commissioning

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Apr 17 09:44:52 EDT 2006

Dan,

Slim is right about the inherent simplicity of launching the boat, but
Dave is also right in pointing out that it can take much longer.

The first time Elton puts your boat into the water, he discovers almost
everything not provided to spec, and it's his job to make it right.
Think of it as "Dealer Prep".  When you buy a new car, this is all done
for you before you leave the dealer's lot.  With a boat it's done upon
arrival at your body of water.

So the first time doesn't really count.

After that, you're on your own.  If you haven't already done so, or
don't have access to one, order the GB mast raising device.  This
speeds, simplifies, and makes safe the only truly difficult aspect of
commissioning.

Putting together Slim's lists and Peter's list will provide others with
an organized approach to commissioning.  One size does not fit all in
this category.  Boats with different equipment will set up slightly
differently.

Watch Elton.  The more questions you need to ask, the slower it will
go.  I prefer to work alone, so I never have to explain why I am doing
what I am doing, and I can concentrate on getting the order of things
right.   If I work tired I can still screw things up.

The list will help you develop a commissioning list for your boat before
you need it.  I've never seen a detailed list of this type provided by a
boat building company.  There are probably liability issues involved.
Toyota doesn't teach you how to drive.

Bill Effros