[Rhodes22-list] Pneumatic damper

Alain POIRAUD hylas at free.fr
Mon Apr 17 08:24:42 EDT 2006

"I use floating anchor rode.  I use little or no chain.  I can see when I
am driving the flukes into the bottom because all of the line disappears
from the surface.  I can use a sextant to determine scope--by applying
sufficient force at the proper angle I can drive any properly sized
anchor into the bottom where it will hold until I free it.  The harder
the wind blows, the more deeply my anchor sets.  My line never sits on
the bottom, so it is never damaged by an "aggressive" bottom.  I can
anchor better without chain than with it. "

Interesting technique, few people are using floating rope to anchor, as
Polypropylene, has a much lower strength than Nylon ( Polyamide) (i.e.
Polyamide 100 daN :mm² - Polypropylene 35 daN/mm²) But when someone has to
anchor in coral, a very common technique is to attach a buoy (usually a
fender) at the junction chain/rope, then, like with your polypropylene rode,
the rode will not rest on the bottom, and if the boat is pulling on the
line, the rope will disappears from the surface.
Nevertheless, I will still suggest to use a few meters (5) of chain