[Rhodes22-list] Pneumatic damper

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Apr 17 14:53:10 EDT 2006

Alain,

I don't use Polypropylene for the same reasons others don't use it.  In
Long Island Sound, 3 Strand Nylon Line floats--if you don't attach too
much chain to it.

I have attached a copy of your excellent anchoring illustration 1.3 from
your "Rode -- Static Behavior" section because it contains information I
have never been able to understand.

Regarding the all chain rode, it seems to me that when the boat dropped
anchor and 15 meters of chain, 10 meters of chain fell right on top of
the anchor, potentially fouling it.  Now, I know that you are backing up
slowly when you drop anchor, but I watch people around here, and that's
not what they do.  They push a button--the bigger the resulting splash,
the better--then they back up to within a few meters of the nearest
boat, and stop.  That establishes their turning circle, but few have the
vaguest idea of how to set an anchor, and my guess is that most are
lying on chain.

So how does the anchor get set as shown in the illustration?

As I understand it, (and I have never dived on an anchor while it was
being set, although I have set anchors in very shallow water so I could
watch what they do from the boat) the anchors are designed to land
right-side-up most of the time.  If they land as designed, they are
sitting high on their flukes, while the shaft is pointed downward,
providing a stable tripod configuration with the anchor at rest, ready
to go to work.

Pulling on the end of the shank is designed to drive the points of the
flukes into the seabed.  The angle of the flukes moves the shank into a
horizontal position when force is applied at long scope from the surface
of the water, causing the flukes to dig ever deeper into the seabed.
The more force applied to the end of the shank, the deeper the flukes
dig, until the flukes are driven all the way in, and the shank is lying,
horizontally, on the seabed.

At least that is my understanding.

As you point out, by definition, there is never a catenary curve in any
type of anchor line because the line is not free to fall below the level
of the seabed, so all talk about catenaries is rubbish in this context.

It seems to me that the only horizontal force on the anchor is provided
by the relationship between the flukes and the shaft.  No anchor line,
regardless of type, pulled from the boat, high above the sea bed, can
possibly exert a purely horizontal force on the attachment end of the
anchor shaft.  And there is no material difference in the angle of pull
dependent on the type of rode.  Heavy chain rode will simply fall to the
bottom and pull the boat closer to the anchor, as shown in your diagram,
without putting any horizontal force on the anchor shaft, at all.  Not
until the boat  provides enough force, and sufficient scope, to lift all
of the anchor chain off the bottom is any force applied to the end of
the horizontal shaft--and that force cannot be a horizontal force at the
point where the rode is attached to the anchor shaft.

What have I missed here?

Bill Effros