[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring in a 5 knot current

Alain POIRAUD hylas at free.fr
Mon Apr 17 09:08:45 EDT 2006

Thanks Peter,

“After checking out the spade and the sword and reading some of your
comments
on other lists too, they seem like good anchors to me.”

Hummmm!...  Difficult for me for not saying that my “babies” are not the
nicest babies on the world.. :-) :-)

But you can check also on Goggle to have some independent comments..

Talking about anchoring  in a five knot current, I did it quite often in the
river mouths of Brazil, and except some precautions
 it is not really difficult:
-	First they are some anchors that you should not use in this case; they are
fluke, lightweight ones (Danforth and Fortress) as they could “fly” on the
current;
-	Then you should use the common anchoring technique: With your engine, go
up to the current , slow down the engine until you are nearly stopped and
then launch your anchor.
-	 Reduce a little bit the engine RPM  until the boat is going slowly
backward and pay out the rode until  reaching a scope of MINIMUM 3/1
-	Then attach the rode to the Samson post and stop the engine (neutral
point) –  with your foot on the rode, you must eventually feel the anchor
dragging on the bottom (small vibrations) and when the anchor set, it will
stop the boat

It is nearly the same manoeuvre that anchoring in calm water with an engine
backward  with the small difference that you are using the current to go
backward and set the anchor.  (I hope my explanation is clear – otherwise
ask again..)

I will always suggest to have some chain just after the anchor, the weight
will help the anchor digging in and it is also the ONLY way to avoid shafing
the rope on the sea bottom