[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring in a 5 knot current

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Apr 18 09:45:20 EDT 2006

Peter,

I've thought a lot about your original question since you asked it, and
my answer keeps coming up the same: in a 5 knot current emergency, an
anchor would be well down the list of my solutions.

When things happen, it's best if you have anticipated what course of
action you will embark upon.  If you start fumbling with anchors, you
can't be steering, or setting sails at the same time.

I think Alain is making the same point.  No anchor sets every time.
Setting anchors is a skill, not a difficult skill, but a skill
nonetheless.  Throwing anchors at emergencies, especially in 5 kt.
currents, will not have a particularly high success rate.

I keep a 3 lb. folding grapnel anchor under the cockpit seat.  I usually
stern anchor, and then move the anchor forward after it has set.  This
allows me to keep my boat in control at all times, and to steer out of
problems should they arise.  It also means I never run over my anchor line.

In non-emergency situations I will use my Fortress anchor, which is also
under the cockpit seat.  In emergencies I would use the Grapnel because
no matter how it falls, it's got a point sticking out that could grab
onto something, and usually does.  If I managed to stop the boat I would
probably try to set a second anchor, this time a Fortress for it's
superior holding power.

If the Fortress encountered a "flying" problem (something I have read
about, but never encountered) I would attach another anchor, either a
grapnel or a mushroom, roughly 10 feet from the Fortress to bring the
Fortress down to the bottom where I could set it properly.  Fortress
recommends 6 feet of chain.  I think this is to bring the anchor down to
the bottom and counteract "flying" problems.

Bill Effros