[Rhodes22-list] Bilge pump locations

Todd Zumach zoomerzx at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 21:45:53 EDT 2006

Just to show you how much of a techie geek I am... I purchased for my last
boat a bunch of stuff I never ended up using.  The list includes: a 6
circuit fuse panel, a bilge pump (emergency purchase when I sank the boat),
and a Garmin fish finder (this sits next to the compass and Garmin handheld
GPS that is mounted on the plywood board that slides into the companion way
slots.  Having made all these investments, I decided I might as well use
them on the R22.  Besides, what I would I use the "bilge pump" circuit for
anyway?

I already have a knot meter installed in the boat (I assume a GB original).
The sender unit is located in the bilge area under the porta pottie.  I
decided that was a good place to mount the transducer for the fish finder
(yeh, I know there is another string about where to place the transducer
when shooting through the hull. I'll let everyone know how well this
placement works when I get the boat in the water. If it doesn't work out, I
will move move the transducer to the lazerette).  In order to put in the
transducer, I had to drill a hole in the starboard stringer.  To do that, I
needed to remove that floor board.  While doing that, I discovered the 3/4
plywood has the top layer of laminate pulling off.  I didn't like the vinyl
flooring anyway, so, I tore it all out.  While I had it out, I decided I
might as well run a hose line for the bilge pump.  So, I drilled a 1" hole
in the cross direction stringer and ran the hose into the center bilge
area.  I intend to mount the bilge pump in front of the keel trunk (under
the access hatch).

I will send pictures next week when I have everything completed.

By the way, when installing the new fuse panel, I discovered that someone
(original GB?) had used rigid single conductor 14 gauge house wiring from
the battery to the fuse panel. So, while I had everything torn apart I
replaced that with multi-strand and also added a terminal block with new
ring terminals for all the negative wires.

It was a long weekend (I even got in a 43 mile bike ride!)

Capn Z
Phillips, WI

P.S. I still have to install the anchor light and figure out why the
steaming light doesn't work.