[Rhodes22-list] Sweet spot.

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Thu Apr 20 09:33:05 EDT 2006

Wally,
Seriously, I have found that 30 degrees is "THE" sweet spot for RumRunner  in
perfect wind conditions. Take a look at 30 degrees. It really isn't all that
much. Jumping up to 45 will bury the rail and of course reduce speed. Three
on  the rail, 10 to 15 mph winds, 30 degree heel and I'm flying. I've been able
to  play around the past year or so with the gps and I can tell which is the
fastest  configuration. Sailing flat going downwind is preferable, but the R22
hull will  never get up and plane. It might ride the crest of a wave and give
you the  feeling of planing, but it will never plane. It simply doesn't have
a planing  hull. Sailboats have displacement hulls, as we all know.

Rummy