[Rhodes22-list] Removable Solar Panel

Bud budconnor at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 22 23:34:34 EDT 2006

I added a removable solar panel last month, pictures are attached.
Its a 5 watt trickle charge and it sits in the pop-top slide area.
It goes in the cabin when stowed just abaft of the galley under the
starboard coaming area.  I put rubber feet on the panel so it
won't slide around.  To wire up the solar panel, I added an electrical
panel with a meter and a 12v socket.  The electrical panel also
has a momentary switch, and a 3-position rocker switch. The rocker
toggles between battery one, off, and battery two, so I can charge
one battery while using the other.  The solar panel is an ICP brand
and generates voltage even on cloudy days. The momentary switch
is a test switch that allows me to check the voltage on battery
one or battery two or on the solar panel.  (It could probably
tell me the voltage coming off the motor's alternator, but I have not
tested that.) I like the 12v socket because now I have a place
to easily plug-in accessories like a 12v charger or a GPS or cellphone
or a spotlight.  The whole set-up cost around $100.  I picked up
the solar panel from batteries.com when they had a 25% off everything
sale, which they repeat every few months.

-Bud Connor
s/v  1990 Rhodes 22 - getting closer on a name