[Rhodes22-list] Captian Bill Van Deinse

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Apr 25 06:57:47 EDT 2006

Captain Bill V.
	After reading your post, I would like to caution you about a potential
problem.  Your wife has experience with sailing and amenities of bigger
boats.  There is a significant difference between a 22 footer and a 30
footer, both in handling and amenities.  Both issues will relate to the
wife.
	I encourage you to take your wife for a sail on a Rhodes 22 immediately and
especially under gusty conditions.  It is important to see if your wife can
handle the effects of wind on a smaller boat.  We had a situation here on
Lake Hartwell where a former Rhodie took his wife for a sail here and the
rail hit the water.  After that sail she would never go with him again.
	Then there was a fellow about your age and experience who wanted a Rhodes
22 to get more sailing time on upstate lakes rather than going all the way
to the coast for big boat sailing.  The amenities did not suit the wife.
She was spoiled with big boat amenities.
	The only good solution is to immediately take her for a sail on a Rhodes 22
to see if she still supports your interest.  There are two such places
immediately available: Edenton, North Carolina and Anderson, South Carolina.
                 Simply put, you need to resolve the question immediately.

Now the hiking thing:
	I have been a hiker longer than you have been.  I am currently involved
with:
http://www.palmettoconservation.org/  I am a volunteer trail watcher for the
Oconee Connector, see for my section:

http://www.palmettoconservation.org/index.php?action=website-view&WebSiteID=127&WebPageID=4558
	I was involved with the original development of the:
http://www.foothillstrail.org/
And have hiked 99% of it beginning before its public inception.
	This area of the country is unique in its outdoor hiking opportunities
whether on official trails or bushwhacking.  You would think that with
development the dangers would have decreased, but the opposite is the fact.
According to wildlife experts, the eastern cougar is extinct.  Do not
believe them for a moment.  The Carolina Panthers were named that for good
reason.  In nearby North Carolina the panthers are for real and are black.
Here locally they are tawny.
	And then there are the feral hogs, wild pigs or wild boar.  Call them what
you want, they are big suckers.  And the hogs will attack people.  Then we
have increasing Black Bears and a good supply of Copperhead and Rattle
Snakes.  And that is only the bigger things.
	Within 60 miles is the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Pisgah National Forest and
the Chattooga Wild River which feeds Lake Hartwell.  See:

http://hikingthecarolinas.com/picarc13.php

http://www.sas.usace.army.mil/lakes/hartwell/

The long and short of it is come on down.  Ask Captain Rummy for an extreme
demonstration (small fee involved) See:

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2006-April/030095.html

Ed K
Greenville, SC USA
Remember to use 'hot keys' for above references.